With the 2020/2021 school year coming to an end, the Parent Council would like to highlight year-end initiatives and provide parents with a summary of what was discussed in the last PC meeting that took place on April 26th.
In lieu of the annual staff appreciation lunch that was to take place on April 8th, gift cards in the amount of $40 were electronically distributed to all the teachers. They had the option of Indigo, Starbucks or Another Story Book Shop cards. Parent Council received a lot of positive feedback from the staff and everyone was very appreciative.
GOODBYE GIFT BAGS
Each year, PC contributes to a special event to recognize teacher retirements and other special occasions for the staff. Without the opportunity to gather together this year during the pandemic, PC sent a small gift that included a lovely cooler bag and large beach towel to the 7 teachers not returning to LKS in September. These teachers are Ms. Westover, Ms. Kaur, Ms. Selby-Munro, Ms. Ruffalo, Ms. Mohammed, Ms. Currie and Mr. Bracht; and while they will be greatly missed, we wish them continued success in their next positions.
GRADE 8 GRADUATION
PC would like to congratulate the Graduation Committee for all their efforts despite these difficult times. They really made the grade 8 grads feel special throughout the month of June. They had cupcakes delivered, a radio shoutout, released balloons and had a banner and cool art piece put on the school building, which you can see on the LKS PC Instagram account @lksparent.
PC MEETING SUMMARY
- Parent Council executive positions are up for re-election in the fall. The positions include co-chairs, secretary, and treasurer. The executive team is interested in returning next year but all positions must be voted on and all parents are welcome to run for elections. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to reach out to the Parent Council for more information.
- Class planning for the 2021/2022 year (all subject to change depending on final staff changes and enrolment numbers):
- 5 Kinder classes
- 3 classes and 1 1/2 split for Grade 1
- 2 classes and 1 2/3 split for Grade 2
- 3 classes and 1 3/4 split for Grade 3
- 2 classes for Grade 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8
- The Playground Refresh committee continues to work with various stakeholders to develop a plan that meets the needs of the school
- An Anti-Racism & Equity Professional Development group was established within the school by various teachers with a goal to discuss gaps and barriers in the classroom and school. Their voluntary weekly meetings have been a huge success and resource for the teachers in the school.
2021/2022 PARENT COUNCIL FUNDRAISING EVENTS
Parent council is hopeful for a less restrictive 2021/2022 school year to relaunch their various fundraising events, which include the Corn Roast, Fall Fair, Parent Social and Springfest! We look forward to seeing all you parents at these events if they are a go.
You can find lots of information on the school’s various social media accounts and the Friday Flash.
- Parent Council Instagram – @lksparent
- Parent Council Website – https://lksparentcouncil.com/
- LSK Twitter – @LambtonKingsway
- LKS Website – https://schoolweb.tdsb.on.ca/lambtonkingsway/
We wish all of you and families a wonderful, safe and fun summer and look forward to seeing you in September!
-LKS Parent Council