Kindergarten registration is approaching in February. Please read below for details and to sign up to help welcome the new students and parents.
Jump Rope for Heart is February 3-5th at LKS! See below for event details.
In this week’s Bulletin:
Parent Council News
- Kindie registration volunteers needed
- Jump Rope for Heart, Feb 3-5
- Parent-Teacher Interviews
- X-Power @ LKS, Feb 24-27
- Kindergarten Registration Info
- Helpful Links
- Important Dates
PARENT COUNCIL NEWS:
Volunteers Needed for Kindie Registration
To help with the Kindergarten registration process and welcome our new LKS members, we need some parent volunteers! Volunteers will greet the registering parents and children and hand out snacks provided by LKS to make them feel excited about their new educational environment.
To volunteer on February 19, 20 or 21, please visit the visit the SignUpGenius form at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E084DA9AA2AA5FF2-kindergarten1 and contact Krista Harrison at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions. Your help is appreciated!
Jump Rope For Heart at LKS
This year LKS will be participating in Jump Rope for Heart. Jump Rope for Heart supports kids’ health and encourage students at all levels of ability to be physically active. At our kick-off assembly students learned ways to keep their heart and brain healthy.
Our Jump Event will take place from Monday, February, 3 – Wednesday, February 5th during your child’s scheduled gym period. Students are encouraged to wear red/pink during their event.
Our school goal is $10 000. You can donate by returning the pledge envelope by Thursday, February 13th or by making a donation online at:
The website for booking Parent Teacher Interviews will open on Monday February 3 at 9:00 a.m. and remain open until Friday February 7 at 12:00 p.m. Our teachers will be available to meet on Friday, February 14, 2020 between 9:00 and 11:30 a.m. and then from 12:30 to 3:00 p.m. The information you require to book a time is below.
To book an appointment, follow these simple directions:
- Go to www.schoolinterviews.ca
- Click on Make a Booking
- Enter the event code myj4b
- Select the teacher and times you would like to book
As you are aware, the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario (ETFO) is currently engaged in legal job action that has an impact on the workday. In order to accommodate as many parents as possible, we have set up the system with 10 minute blocks to discuss your child’s progress.
Thank you in advance.
X-POWER~ February 24-28
We are excited to be welcoming X-Movement back to LKS for a brand new program called X-Power. This is the third in a series of fun and engaging learning opportunities for our students. You may recall X-Fusion and our parent engagement evening that taught us mindfulness, self-regulation and how to understand our moods. X-Dance taught us culturally diverse dances from all over the world, and encouraged us celebrate the unique parts of themselves and others.
Our next session is X-Power. X Power explores conflict resolution through an experience inspired by martial arts including karate, tai chi and taekwondo. Through games and reflection, students are empowered with tools for effective conflict resolution and to stand up for themselves, others, and the world around them. This program ties well with the Ontario Dance and Health/Phys Ed Curricula.
Each student is asked to pay $8.00 towards the cost of bringing this program to LKS. Payment should be made at www.schoolcashonline.com. Included in this price is a parent engagement evening where parents are invited to learn from their children the dances they have been learning all week. The parent engagement evening is Thursday, February 27th.
February is Kindergarten Registration Month
We look forward to welcoming our newest LKS community members! To attend Junior Kindergarten in September, children must be four years old by December 31, 2020. To register for Senior kindergarten, children must be five years old before December 31, 2020. Our official registration dates at LKS are Wednesday, February 19 , Thursday, February 20 and Friday, February 21 between 8:15 am and 3:00 pm. Parents can start the registration process online starting February 3rd by going to www.tdsb.on.ca/kindergarten and completing the online registration form. Once you have completed the registration form, call the school at (416)394-7890 to book an appointment to submit the required documents and for you and your new Kindergarten student to meet a Kindergarten teacher. If you would prefer to pick up registration forms from the office and fill them out at home on paper instead of online, that’s fine too. The paper forms will be available starting February 1st as well. When you come to your scheduled appointment, please remember to bring:
- Your Kindergarten child
- Proof of age (birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian Citizenship card or certificate)
- Proof of address (a copy of your “Agreement of Purchase and Sale” or “Agreement to Lease” plus one other piece of identification that shows your address, such as a residential phone bill – we cannot accept driver’s license as proof of address)
- Proof of immunization – please report online www.toronto.ca/studentvaccines. If unable to report online, parents can provide the immunization card to the school and the school will mail a copy to Toronto Public Health.
- Verification of date of arrival, if your child was not born in Canada. Families who are permanent residents and refugee claimants may register directly at the school. Children without immigration status are welcome in our schools and information about them or their families will not be shared with immigration authorities. To register, please visit the International Programs and Admissions Office at 5050 Yonge Street, on the main floor, for a TDSB school admission letter.
Ideally we will have the majority of registrations done during these two dates. Please remember to book an appointment. Please feel free to share this information with community members who have Kindergarten aged children.